You just found the only Starfield lockpicking guide you need! Greetings, fellow spacefarers! In the cosmic playground that is Starfield, one skill stands between you and the secrets of the Settled Systems – lockpicking.
Forget everything you knew from Skyrim or Fallout; in Starfield, it’s all about finesse, strategy, and mastering the art of the Digipick.
Starfield lockpicking guide: Solve the cosmic challenge
Picture this: You’re standing before a locked door, tantalizingly concealing its treasures. To breach it, you’ll need a Digipick, the digital key to unlock the wonders within. But it’s not a simple matter of finding a “sweet spot.” Oh no, in Starfield, it’s more like solving a spatial puzzle that puts your mind to the test.
Imagine concentric rings, each with gaps in their outlines. To your right are your keys – tiny blocks ready to be slotted into those gaps. To crack the lock, you must fill every gap in every ring until they vanish. Pick a key, and it appears around the outermost ring. You can twist and turn it as you please, but here’s the catch – it must fill every gap or it’s a no-go.
Succeed, and the filled gaps vanish. So does the key – no reuse allowed! Clear all the rings, and the lock surrenders its bounty. Triumph, and the Digipick used is yours to keep. Fail, or bail out before completion, and it’s sayonara to your Digipick.
Novice to master locks
Starfield classifies locks into four tiers of increasing complexity. Novice locks are the newbie’s playground, accessible from the get-go. But if you’re eyeing those high-security loot vaults, you’ll need to level up your Security skill. Here’s the scoop:
- Novice Locks: Open to all
- Advanced Locks: Security Rank 1 required
- Expert Locks: Security Rank 2 needed
- Master Locks: Security Rank 3 unlocks these beauties
With each tier, the challenge intensifies. More rings, more keys, and a longer dance with the lock. Some character backgrounds offer an initial Security point, so if you’re a Bouncer, Cyber Runner, Cyberneticist, or Industrialist, you’re ahead of the game.
Starfield lockpicking auto-attempts: Your ace in the hole
Now, let’s talk about making life easier. Enter auto-attempts, your secret weapon in the cosmic lockpicking realm. Activate an auto-attempt during the lockpicking minigame, and it reveals the right key for the current ring. It won’t solve the puzzle entirely, but it’s like having a cheat sheet for the tough parts.
To stock up on auto-attempts, invest in the Security skill. Climbing the ranks boosts your auto-attempt stash:
- Security Rank 1: 2 auto-attempts
- Security Rank 2: 3 auto-attempts
- Security Rank 3: 4 auto-attempts
- Security Rank 4: 5 auto-attempts
Earn an auto-attempt each time you successfully pick a lock, as long as you’ve got space for it. These little helpers can be game-changers.
Starfield lockpicking tips
Now, let’s level up your lockpicking game with some pro tips:
- Invest in security skill: Don’t be a noob; level up your Security skill. Unlock advanced locks, gain extra auto-attempts, and revel in the blue ring indicator at Rank 2. At Rank 4, you can even ditch those pesky “red herring” keys meant to throw you off.
- Hoard those digipicks: Digipicks are scattered across the cosmos, but don’t squander them on simple locks. Save them for those mind-bending Expert and Master-level challenges.
- Look beyond: In Starfield, you can foresee the entire puzzle by scanning ahead. A key might fit a ring but mess up your bigger plan. Stay sharp and think ahead.
- Slow and steady wins: Time’s on your side; there’s no rush in Starfield. Take your sweet time, spin those keys methodically, and conquer the lock.
- Retry and adapt: If a lock seems like a cosmic enigma, back out. Lockpicking puzzles are procedurally generated, and a fresh attempt might offer a more solvable configuration. Sure, you might lose that first Digipick, but victory’s worth it.
So, ready to unlock the cosmos? Sharpen your skills, invest in Security, and get ready to dance with the stars. Starfield’s secrets await, and the master of lockpicking holds the key to them all. Fly high, fellow gamers, and happy lockpicking!
Do you know how to use the jetpack in Starfield? If so, visit the related article and elevate your game experience!
Featured image credit: Bethesda