- 1 Modern Warfare 2 campaign not working: How to fix the MW2 campaign not launching error?
- 1.1 Update the GPU and operating system
- 1.2 Run the Battle.Net/Steam with admin permission and verify game files
- 1.3 Disable overlays and other background applications
- 1.4 Disable NVIDIA instant replay and ShadowPlay
- 1.5 Allow the game through the Windows Firewall
- 1.6 Ensure the MW2 is starting in Native Resolution
- 1.7 Delete the config file
- 1.8 Issue with Steam phone number verification
Today we explain how to fix the Modern Warfare 2 campaign not working and the MW2 campaign not launching error. Due mostly to the massive popularity and fan following, Modern Warfare 2 campaign is one of the year’s most anticipated games.
The game is good, and we got to play it during the PS beta, but there are conflicting opinions in the community. Many users who have tried to play the game have had issues with the Modern Warfare 2 campaign crashing at startup and failing to launch on Downdetector.
Modern Warfare 2 campaign not working: How to fix the MW2 campaign not launching error?
Make sure your system satisfies the system requirements for the game before trying any of the cures for the MW2 campaign crashing. The technical requirements for MW2 must be met, or the game may crash. You might try the following simple troubleshooting for problems on day one:
- Update the GPU and operating system
- Run the Battle.Net/Steam with admin permission and verify game files
- Disable overlays and other background applications
- Disable NVIDIA instant replay and ShadowPlay
- Allow the game through the Windows Firewall
- Ensure the MW2 is starting in Native Resolution
- Delete the config file
- Issue with Steam phone number verification
Let’s take a closer look at the solutions.
Update the GPU and operating system
Make sure the operating system and graphics card driver are current before moving on to the other solutions. You may experience a variety of problems, such as Modern Warfare 2 crashing on PC startup, if the GPU is not upgraded. Use the GeForce Experience or directly download the update from Nvidia when installing the GPU driver; avoid using the Device Manager. Make a clean install when updating by selecting Custom Install.
Make sure that everything is downloaded and updated for Windows Update, including the optional update. If the.NET Framework has any changes. That is very significant. Just make sure everything is current.
Check out how long is the MW2 campaign?
Run the Battle.Net/Steam with admin permission and verify game files
Giving the Battle.Net client or the Steam client admin permission is the next logical step to take if the game still won’t launch. Verify the game files after you’ve finished that. Right-click Battle.desktop Net’s shortcut and select Properties to grant admin rights. Check the compatibility tab by clicking there. Run this application with administrator rights. Here’s how to fix Battle.game Net’s files.
- Navigate to All Games in the Battle.Net client and select Modern Warfare 2.
- Next to the update button, select the Gear icon.
- Selecting Scan and Repair
If you purchased the game on Steam or are playing the beta using the Steam client, follow these instructions to verify the game files.
- Right-click Modern Warfare 2 in the Library section of the Steam client and select properties.
- Select the Verify integrity of game files button under the Local Files tab.
Once the download and verification are finished, try starting the game. Here are some additional things you can try if MW2 still crashes upon startup and fails to run after applying these basic solutions.
Disable overlays and other background applications
The fact that your copy of CoD won’t start suggests that there may be a conflict between it and a number of third-party apps. Disable the GeForce Experience program as well as the Steam and Discord overlays in the Task Manager. Disable any overclocking or RGB software you may be using as well. The best approach to disable all third-party software is with a clean boot, so think about doing that before you start the game.
Disable NVIDIA instant replay and ShadowPlay
Additionally, some users have claimed that the game crashes more frequently when Nvidia Install Replay or ShadowPlay are turned on. This update is for users who can access the game but experience crashes when playing. The Nvidia GeForce Experience should be completely closed before starting the game, as was previously instructed.
Allow the game through the Windows Firewall
The Windows Firewall has to be opened up for the game as the next repair. The COD MW2 will crash when it first launches if the firewall prevents the game from running. Using a third-party antivirus, you can also add an exception to your software. For instructions on how to exclude a certain piece of software from the Windows Firewall and other antivirus programs, see this post.
Ensure the MW2 is starting in Native Resolution
The only way to alter or check the resolution is through the game’s configuration file because you cannot access the game’s menu. The Modern Warfare 2 configuration files are located in the Documents folder. Unlike most games, MW2’s configuration file doesn’t explicitly include the settings, but you can tell what the resolution is if you see a value like “38402160,” “19201080,” or another one. Make sure that this number matches the monitor’s native resolution, which it is currently set to support. Your native resolution can be checked by:
- Windows key + I, then select System
- You ought to be able to view the Display Resolution that your monitor is currently using from the Display tab.
Delete the config file
Your configuration file may occasionally be the cause of a game’s launch failure. Delete the config file by going to the same area as before: Documents > MW2 > Players. The new configuration file will be generated automatically when you start the game again, and perhaps this time you can start Modern Warfare 2.
Issue with Steam phone number verification
Many gamers have complained that they are unable to start the game since they are in the Steam client’s phone verification stage. The game does not continue for some players who have already validated their phone number since the Steam client will not allow it. Go to Steam Settings > Web Browser > Click on Delete Web Browser Data if you are experiencing this issue. Try your hand at the game now.
Check out MW2 phone number required: How to add?