In this article we are going to be going over ways you can fix iPhone microphone not working on iOS 16, so you can use your phone without any issues.
It’s difficult to have a conversation when your iPhone’s microphone isn’t working properly. Here’s how to troubleshoot an iPhone microphone and get it functioning again, whether the other party can’t hear you, calls are fuzzy, or Siri can’t comprehend orders.
Yes, the new mobile operating system of Apple is now out. Check out iOS 16 supported devices list to see if your iPhone can receive the new update. Apple brought some interesting tools with this update, discoved iOS 16 top features here! You might be asking yourself like: “Should I update to iOS 16 now or wait?” Well, we need to tell you that there are 9 hidden iOS 16 features you shouldn’t miss.
You can also learn how to add widgets to the lock screen check out the best iOS 16 lock screen widgets by visiting our guides. This way you will learn how to customize lock screen on iOS 16. If you don’t like the search button, find out how to remove home screen search button in iOS 16.
Why your iPhone microphone not working
There are several reasons why the iOS 16 iPhone microphone could not be working. The issue might be Bluetooth or app-related, iOS is out-of-date, or anything is obstructing or interfering with the microphone, preventing it from functioning correctly. Typically, the precise problem is only revealed through its matching remedy.
How to fix an iPhone microphone?
To identify the problem and get your iPhone operating again, follow the troubleshooting steps in the sequence provided.
- Reboot the iPhone. Many problems, including microphone malfunctions, can be resolved by restarting an iPhone.
- Examine any blocked entrances. Every iPhone contains at least three microphones. Check that the bottom, front, and rear microphone holes are not covered, blocked, or impeded in any way.
- Take off your screen protector or case. Even if your screen protector or case does not cover any microphone apertures, it may interfere with the microphone. Remove the case and check to see if this solves the problem.
- Unplug any external devices. Unplug any phone-connected peripherals (such as Bluetooth headsets, earphones, and headphones) and test the microphone again.
- Attempt a different headset. When a microphone fails, faulty or inexpensive headsets are frequently at blame. Try a new headset or pair of earphones to see if it addresses the problem.
- Relaunch communication applications. If the microphone does not function with some apps, such as WhatsApp and Skype, shut and reopen the app.
- Allow applications to use your microphone. If you use an app like WhatsApp or Skype, check sure it has access to the microphone. To do so, navigate to Settings > Privacy > Microphone to get a list of all the apps that have requested microphone access. Confirm that the app causing you troubles has microphone access enabled.
- Clean the apertures for the microphones. Examine the microphone holes for clogs caused by lint or dust. If so, carefully brush out the opening with a dry, clean toothbrush. Examine the microphones. Individually testing microphones aids in locating and ruling out faults with each given microphone.
- Primary microphone: Open the Voice Memos app from the iPhone’s home screen to use the primary microphone. To record your voice, tap the Record icon. Stop the recording and start it again. The primary microphone is operational if you can hear your own voice.
- Front microphone: From the iPhone’s home screen, launch the Camera app. Select Video and then press the selfie view icon (camera). To record your voice, tap the record symbol. Stop recording and open the Photos app to watch the video. If you can hear your voice, the front microphone is working.
- Back microphone: From the iPhone’s home screen, launch the Camera app. To record your voice, go to the Video option and hit the record symbol. (It should be visible at all times.) Pause the recording. To see the video, launch the Photos app. The rear microphone is operational if you can hear your own voice. Continue to the following steps if you discover that a microphone isn’t working.
- iOS should be updated. An out-of-date iOS can sometimes interfere with the microphone operating properly, and upgrading the iPhone iOS can resolve the issue. To see if iOS is up to date, click to Settings > General > Software Update and search for and install the newest updates.
- iOS upgrades can contain vulnerabilities that cause hardware problems. If your iPhone’s microphone has ceased operating properly after an update, contact Apple iPhone support or discover how to downgrade iOS without losing data.
- Restore the original settings. Changes in settings that are unexpected might cause a microphone to cease operating. You may be able to repair this problem by restoring the iPhone to its factory settings. Although a reset deletes no data (except Wi-Fi passwords), you should back up your iPhone before doing one in case you wish to restore to your previous settings.
- Erase All Content & Settings should not be selected since it deletes all personal content from the phone, including contacts, applications, photographs, music, credit or debit cards, and more.
- Contact Apple’s customer service. If everything else fails, contact Apple to schedule an appointment. If your iPhone is still under warranty, Apple can fix the problem or replace it. Alternatively, depending on your warranty, you may get the iPhone serviced for free or for a price.
Should I update to iOS 16?
Although iOS 16 has some great new features, you’re better off waiting for iOS 16.1, iPadOS 16.1, and possibly macOS Ventura, all of which will be out in October. New features are offered, as well as a more stable experience. Even if you want to upgrade to iOS 16 right away, waiting until after the first release is frequently a wise choice. You may at least give Apple one or two weeks until the iOS 16.0.1 bug-fix update is made available. If you want to learn more, make sure to check out should I update to iOS 16 now or wait.
We hope that you enjoyed this article on iPhone microphone not working. If you did, we are sure that you will also enjoy reading some of our other articles, such as how to show battery percentage on iPhone, or Comparison: iPhone 14 Pro Max vs iPhone 14 Pro.