Scribd and Audible are two popular audiobook subscription platforms that provide the same services and today we are going to see what they offer and which one you should choose in 2021. There are significant differences between the two. Let’s take a look at those great platforms.
Scribd vs Audible 2021: Which one to choose?
Audible focuses primarily on audiobooks, while Scribd has access to PDF documents, books, and audiobooks. There are over 100,000 titles on Audible alone, and most of these titles have topped the bestseller list.
What are the advantages of audiobooks?
We live in a technological age. Do you have a flooded bookshelf? Don’t worry; audiobooks won’t require space in your home or on your bookshelf. Before I compare the two most popular platforms, let me break down the advantages of audiobooks.
- You can listen to an audiobook at any time and enjoy it. You can listen to the latest books while doing household chores while washing or tidying things up, or even while driving.
- You can enjoy storytime even during the night, without keeping the lights on or straining your eyes. This simply means you can close your eyes and allow the stories to draw you into their beautiful world.
- With so many advantages, the audiobook industry is growing rapidly. People are showing interest in listening to audiobooks. The use of audiobooks has increased considerably and people from all corners of the world are paying attention to them. Tech-savvy book lovers undoubtedly love them more than anyone else. Various audiobook apps are launched almost daily. However, they differ from each other.
The key features and benefits of Scribd
There are different packages offered on Scribd, and they are better than those offered on Audible. Scribd’s membership fee provides unlimited access to audiobooks, eBooks, documents, magazines, music access, etc. However, Scribd’s library size is only limited to 70,000 currently, and this is much smaller than Audible’s.
If you are a big fan of reading the most popular books of the year, I must tell you that Scribd only has half of the popular book collection. So if you’re only looking for the latest collection of audiobooks and books by your favorite authors, Scribd may not be the right platform for you.
The overall interface of the Scribd website is good, but it is not as spontaneous as most other audiobook websites. It lacks adequate navigation. Therefore, more menu options are needed on the website for a user to easily navigate. Also, a major drawback of using Scribd is that if you cancel your membership on the platform, you will also lose your audiobooks.
This platform has a separate review section, summary, recommendations, suggestions, etc. All these features help the member to find one of the most suitable and popular readings. A five-minute audio clip is attached to each audiobook so users can take a sneak peek.
It works just like e-commerce sites. Save your favorite audiobooks to the wishlist and read them once you are done with your current book. Since the website does not offer audiobooks, you will have to be very careful when buying audiobooks on this website, as there are chances that you will end up buying an e-book instead of an audiobook. Scribd is a much smaller platform than Audible.
Monthly membership options are available on Scribd. After becoming a member of the platform, a user can access its website and mobile app. You can also choose to easily switch between an e-book or audiobook easily through the app.
The key features and benefits of Audible
Audible powered by Amazon is currently one of the best platforms for listening to audiobooks. It secures a prime position in various reviews and charts. It has a quarter of a million titles available and thus has one of the vast catalogs of audiobooks. The platform offers several plans, and readers can choose according to their preferences.
The basic plan offers credits to members and you can use these credits in exchange for an audiobook. There are plans where regular readers receive up to 24 credit points with which they can buy audiobooks. You can enjoy some additional benefits if you are an Amazon Prime member. Get exclusive and free prime video content with every audiobook purchase.
Easy return policy
It can be accessed through their mobile app. The app allows users to download the audiobook and gives them the option to switch between audiobook and ebook versions of a book. Audiobooks can also be synced with Amazon Alexa. One amazing feature that Audible offers is their return policy, where you can return an audiobook you’ve read once. You can even redeem it for credits, isn’t that amazing? Buy an audiobook for credits, finish reading it, and return it for credits to buy a new one.
Backed by Amazon
Audible has exactly the same collection that Amazon has and Alexa is compatible with the platform.
Easy checkout plan
Several audiobooks only allow you to borrow books, but the features that Audible offers are different. The audio downloads are all yours and you can keep them as long as you want. Yes, it means that even if you cancel your membership plan, you can still access your downloaded audiobooks through the app.
Audible offers innovative ways to listen to audiobooks. You can tell a problem you are facing while using Audible because they have 24-hour customer service support. They will help you out for sure.
Scribd vs Audible: Which one has the best collection?
Scribd offers variety in its collection. You don’t just have access to audiobooks; instead, you get access to journals, PDF documents, music, etc.
Therefore, it is a better choice for students, researchers, and anyone looking for content other than what is already available in books. Scribd also allows you to convert a PDF document to HTML5 format. It helps the content to load much faster without compromising the quality of the content.
Audible has an extensive collection of audiobooks available for its members. There are over 200,000 titles available. There are two main categories of contents: premium and standard. Audible consists of the latest best-selling audiobooks with much higher credits. There are some exclusive Audible audiobooks available on the platform. They are known as Audible’s particular audiobooks and are not available on any other platform.
Scribd vs Audible: User interface
Access is also limited on Scribd, where it allows access to its content only on three devices within 24 hours. Also, you can only download its app to four different devices.
There are restrictions on the number of devices where you can use an Audible account. Restrictions are also imposed on purchased audiobooks, so downloaded audiobooks are also shared only with registered users. It means that you can share the content only with someone who has registered to an Amazon account.
Scribd vs Audible: Audio quality
Audible offers audiobooks with 64 kbps speed, while Scribd’s are only limited to 32 kbps. There is no denying that the performance of Audible audios is better with improved sound quality and less noise distortion. Also, to store a higher bit rate of the audiobook, you will surely need more storage space. The standard format for digital music is 32 kbps and therefore the quality offered by Scribd is not bad either.
You will notice a difference between the sound quality of the two only while playing the audiobook on high-end speakers or headphones. If you already have an excellent audio setup with a high-end speaker, Audible is the choice for you. But, if you have a device with limited storage, choose Scribd.
Scribd vs Audible: Price comparison
If you’re looking for more affordable options, no other option is better than Scribd. It offers a 30-day free trial to users and then a monthly subscription is priced at $8.99. This subscription plan provides access to unlimited content, premium books, and a maximum of three premium book downloads.
Audible’s membership plan is more expensive than Scribd’s. Audible’s basic plan starts at $14.95 per month. It also offers a 30-day trial to its users. This membership plan offers only one credit in a month for an audiobook. It offers a premium download of a maximum of two books in a month. For serious readers, the platform offers upgraded and premium plans at slightly higher rates. With a premium account, users can access restricted content that standard users do not have access to.
Scribd vs Audible: Location restrictions
Being backed by Amazon, Audible follows the same geographic rules and regulations, which are followed by products and services that are available on Amazon. However, you shouldn’t see this as a disadvantage because as in countries like Canada, Germany, New Zealand, Australia, India, etc., local books are offered at much lower prices than those offered to other countries. Scribd offers completely flat rates. It does not consider a user’s location; however, its customer support is comparatively restricted.
Scribd vs Audible: Pros and cons
Pros of Scribd
- It is a perfect solution for reading enthusiasts with various options available such as music, audiobook, magazine, e-book, etc.
- Scribd offers unlimited opportunities for readers, which is a great offering in the industry.
- The website and mobile apps are available, and you can choose to use either of them.
- Once you have completed the trial period, the offline reading option is also offered. It means that you can easily listen to unlimited titles even when you are offline.
- Various popular articles on different topics are available like Fine Magazine, periodicals, men’s health, weekly entertainment, etc.
Cons of Scribd
- There are some hidden restrictions on the application.
- The offline feature doesn’t work if you haven’t downloaded the book.
- All audiobooks disappear once you cancel the subscription.
Pros of Audible
- Audiobooks can be downloaded via mobile data or Wi-Fi.
- The catalog is updated fairly frequently and already offers a wide selection of 200,000 audiobook titles.
- The app offers multitasking options, which means you can listen to an audiobook while downloading it in the background.
- You can easily switch between listening and reading.
- You can quickly resolve any issues with excellent customer support from Audible. They have phone support and live chat options available.
- Credits can be redeemed for books.
Cons of Audible
- Audible contains some audiobooks that are read more easily from an actual book.
- Some audiobooks are not worth reading, and rather their reviews are worth the plot of the book itself.
- Does Scribd charge for downloads?
- You can use Scribd without interruption and without advertising. It allows you to download multiple DRM-free PDF files to be read while the user is offline.
- Do I have to pay for books on Scribd?
- Scribd works on a monthly plan. After you begin a monthly plan, you no longer need credits to access audiobooks on Scribd. Programs with unlimited audiobooks and books will be available.
- Which one is better: Scribd or Audible?
- If you’re looking for more than just audiobooks, Scribd is the right solution for you. However, if you’re looking to take a wide audiobook collection that will stay with you forever, Audible is the one.
- Is Audible free with Amazon Prime?
- Prime members who pay $99 a year get free access to Audible content. They are not required to pay the additional cost to access the service.
- Is Audible worth it?
- Audible is worth a monthly subscription if you want to listen to audio while you do something and love to read. It offers a 30-day trial along with a free book. Try it first and choose a paid subscription model according to your needs.