How to rip Blu-ray movies for Plex Media Server? Plex, also called Plex Media Server, is an amazing free streaming service that connects your computer with your compatible devices. With it, you can instantly play your HD movies on the big screen of your smart tv or your android phone. If you want to rip Blu-ray movies for Plex, keep reading and we will show a detailed tutorial on this subject.
The easiest method to rip Blu-ray for Plex
To rip and copy Blu-ray discs for Plex media service, you must first rip the Blu-ray movies from the Blu-ray disc. Free Blu-ray Ripper is a free tool that can convert Blu-ray movies to MP4, MOV, MKV and other file formats and device presets.
- Rip Blu-ray movies to digital video/audio/device presets for Plex.
- It supports a wide range of output formats, such as MP4, MOV, MKV, etc.
- Offer multiple output settings to customize your Blu-ray movies.
- Remove the encryption and restriction of Blu-ray movies automatically.
How to rip blu-ray movies for Plex Media Server?
Step 1: Import Blu-ray movies
When you want to stream Blu-ray movies to Plex, download and install Free Blu-ray Ripper to your computer. Then insert your Blu-ray disc into your Blu-ray drive. Launch the software, click the Load Disc menu at the top left, and select your disc to import movie data files.
Step 2: Preview and edit Blu-ray movies
After that, you can preview any Blu-ray movie and select the desired files with the built-in media player on the right side. You can also select the audio track and subtitles in the Audio Track option and the Subtitle option next to the selected Blu-ray movies.
Step 3: Select the desired format
Click on the Profile option to choose the video format supported by Plex, such as MP4. As for the case, you can convert Blu-ray to Plex for most other devices. If you want to change the video resolution, bit rate and other parameters, click Settings. button to open the profile settings dialog.
- How to add subtitles automatically in Plex?
- How to add, move and delete a movie in Plex?
- What is Plex and how does it work?
Step 4: Rip Blu-ray movies for Plex
Select a specific folder for the output file for Plex via the Browse button. Once you click the Convert button in the lower right corner, the Blu-ray ripping for the Plex process will start. After that, you can click the Open Folder button to open the ripped file.
How to stream Blu-ray with Plex client?
The Plex Media Server client can play Blu-ray movies and stream your movies stored in a third-party Plex client, such as Roku, PS, and more. I will take PS4 as an example to show you how it works.
- Access the official Plex website in your browser and get the Plex Media Server. Then install it on your computer and open it. Log into your Plex account. If you don’t have one, please register from the website. Click the More icon on the left side to access the Add Library dialog.
- Select the Movie button and press the Next button. Now, choose a language if necessary, and then hit the Next button to proceed. Click Add folder and select the folder where ripped Blu-ray movies are. Press Add Library to continue and complete the setup process.
- To play Blu-ray movies on the Plex Media Server, connect PS4 to your computer. Open the browser on PS4 and go to www.plex.tv/web. Log into the same account that you used on your computer.
- Then all the Blu-ray movies uploaded to Plex Media Server will appear and you can watch your movies on a big screen. If your Blu-ray movies are not encrypted, you can insert them to your computer and play them directly on Plex. But Plex won’t be able to play protected Blu-ray movies on Plex.
FAQ on How to Rip Blu-ray Movies to Plex Media Server
1. What kind of files can Plex play?
Plex can play the following file formats: ASF, MPEGTS, TS, MKV, WMV, etc.
2. Can Plex extract files from Blu-ray / DVD?
Plex cannot read Blu-ray / DVD file formats (Video_TS), so the only way to enjoy Blu-ray / DVD videos on Plex is to rip Blu-ray / DVD videos to a format of a normal video that is compatible with Plex.
3. How do I burn a DVD in Plex?
You can use a free DVD ripper to convert your disc to a Plex compatible format such as AVI, MOV, MP4, etc. Then you can stream your digital video to Plex. As we explained above.
4. Will Plex play an ISO file?
Plex does not support the use of ISO, IMG, Video_TS, BDMV, or other “disc image” formats. If you want to use those with Plex, you have to convert them to a supported format.
As a popular media server service, Plex is attractive to millions of users. By default, Plex can’t read unencrypted Blu-ray movies. If you want to watch commercial Blu-ray discs, you must use Blu-ray ripping software. Free Blu-ray Ripper is not only easy to use, it can also produce the best output quality. This way, you learned how to rip Blu-ray movies for Plex Media Server.