Do you receive an error message when you try to use Spotify that says “This app is restricted to Premium users only”? When you attempt to sign in to the desktop application for Spotify, you will see the error notice.
It has no effect on the versions of Spotify available for iOS and Android. Even if they have a Spotify Premium subscription, users are unable to log in to the desktop application.
Fixing the issue where Spotify on your personal computer (Windows or Mac) displays the message “This app is restricted to Premium users only” is the subject of this tutorial.
What does ”This app is restricted to Premium users only” mean?
According to Spotify, ‘This app is restricted to Premium users only’ since the company no longer supports earlier iterations of the company’s desktop application.
You won’t be able to log in if the Spotify desktop client is running a version older than 1.1.59. The official justification provided by Lyubka, a moderator of the Spotify forum, is shown below:
- “We have shut down Spotify desktop application versions that have been released before April 2021 in order to make way for a wider and better user experience,” the statement reads.
- ”Customers who have been using an earlier version of the app will no longer have access to it because of this.”
- “To continue enjoying Spotify, you must update the Spotify app to the most recent version if you have a computer (Mac or Windows) with a version older than 1.1.59.”
- “We advise updating your operating system to the most recent version first“.
You may still enjoy your favorite music and podcasts using the Spotify Web Player in the meantime.
How to fix “This app is restricted to Premium users only” on Spotify?
You must uninstall and reinstall Spotify to receive the most recent version of the desktop software in order to resolve the error “This app is restricted to Premium users only” on Spotify.
You may either use the Spotify Web Player or download Spotify from the Microsoft Store.
Click here to reach Spotify Web Player.
How to uninstall and reinstall Spotify?
To fix the ”This app is restricted to Premium users only” issue on Spotify, you need to uninstall and reinstall. This is how to do it on Windows:
- When Spotify is closed, choose “Settings” from the Start menu.
- Spotify is under Apps > Apps & Features.
- To uninstall, press three dots and then follow the on-screen directions.
- Install and download Spotify.
On a Mac:
- Activate Finder > Applications.
- Empty the trash after dragging the Spotify app there.
- Install and download Spotify.
Reinstalling Spotify will update it to the most recent version for you automatically.
Spotify may be downloaded via the Microsoft Store
If you need to want to download Spotify via the Microsoft Store, follow these steps below:
- Open the Microsoft Store by clicking on the taskbar icon.
- On the “Get” button, type “Spotify” into the search box.
- Launch Spotify and sign in using your credentials.
Reminder: If you download Spotify from the Microsoft Store, you’ll receive the most recent version of the desktop application.
Users react to the Spotify error “This app is restricted to premium users only”
The most recent error message on Spotify has drawn complaints from users who believe that the UI in older applications was superior to that in the most recent edition.
Users are now migrating to other applications, canceling their premium subscriptions, and posting images of the same on other sites. It should be noted that the new modification is also being applied to devices running Linux, macOS, and Android.
Before you leave, you can read our article about Spotify Find Your Flow reimagines the soundtrack for 2023.