In this article, we are going to be covering how to fix MW2 error code 0x887a0005, so you can keep playing the game and enjoy all that it has to offer.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II immerses players in a never-before-seen global battle, along with the return of the famous Operators of Task Force 141. Players will deploy with pals in a totally immersive experience, from small-scale, high-stakes tactical ops to highly secret missions. Infinity Ward provides players with cutting-edge gameplay, including all-new gun handling, an enhanced AI system, a new Gunsmith, and a slew of additional gameplay and graphics enhancements that take the franchise to new heights. If you want to check out the game for yourself, make sure you visit the Steam Store page.
Since the game’s release, players have been reporting an error code 0x887A0005. Error 0x887A0005 is a common crashing bug in the campaign of MW2. When the crash happens, MW2 shuts suddenly and shows the error message “This program has unexpectedly ceased operating.” If you have a one-time crash, you should be able to resume playing normally. Some gamers, however, have reported that the 0x887A0005 issue frequently crashes their copy of MW2. As a result, here’s how to solve the 0x887A0005 issue in Call of Duty: MW2 in Windows 10 and 11.
If you are playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and looking for guides that will help you through the game, we’ve got everything you need. We are sure that you will enjoy our guide on CoD MW2 rewards: How to unlock all of them. While unlocking the rewards, you will need guns. For that, visit our guide on how to unlock guns in MW2 and other secret weapons such as MP5 or Lachmann 556. Also, in case you are having trouble playing the Beta due to errors, you can check out how to fix MW2 not working on PC, and on Xbox as well.
How to fix MW2 error code 0x887a0005?
Without further ado, here is how to fix MW2 error code 0x887a0005.
Run MW2 as administrator
To begin, ensure that Call of Duty: MW2 has complete access to files and resources in Windows by starting the game with elevated administrator privileges. You must setup both the game and its Battle.net launcher to operate with administrative privileges. Here’s how to configure MW2 to start with higher privileges:
- By hitting Win + E, you may access File Explorer.
- Open the MW2 installation folder.
- Select Properties by right-clicking MW2 Launcher in the game’s folder.
- To view the configuration settings, click the Compatibility tab.
- Check the little box next to the Run this software as administrator option.
- To preserve your compatibility settings, click the Apply button.
- Then click OK to end the MW2 properties window.
- Follow the same procedure for the Battle.net Launcher.exe file in your Battle.net folder.
Set graphics settings to the Low preset
Error 0x887A0005 can occur when gamers use too high graphics settings on their PCs. If you’re not playing MW2 on a very powerful PC, reducing the overall graphics setting may be a possible option. Sure, the game won’t look as amazing, but you might be able to play it without any problems. You may change the graphics setting in MW2 to low by doing the following:
- Start playing Call of Duty: MW2.
- Select the Settings option in the game.
- Navigate to the Graphics tab.
- Choose the Quality tab.
- Then, under the Quality Presets drop-down option, select Low.
- Select the option to Apply Settings.
Disable Texture Streaming
For certain Call of Duty: MW2 gamers, disabling texture streaming has been an error 0x887A0005 solution. To disable that option, navigate to the Graphics tab in MW2 as described in the prior resolution. Within the display settings, select On-Demand Texture Streaming. Then, uncheck the On-Demand Texture Streaming option, and remember to save your changes.
Scan MW2’s game files
Error 0x887A0005 might occur as a result of damaged MW2 game files. In such situation, Battle.net’s Scan and Repair application for games may be able to resolve the issue for certain gamers. This is how you use this tool to scan your Call of Duty: MW2 game.
- Start the MW2 Battle.net gaming client.
- Select Call of Duty: MW2 from the All Games menu at the top of Battle.net.
- On the Play option, press the Options button.
- To validate the files for your MW2 game, click Scan and Repair.
In addition, the Scan and Repair option is included in the 0x887A0005 error message box. You can pick that option on the error box if the game fails. If it doesn’t work, try selecting Scan and Repair from the Battle.net menu.
Select the “System Managed Page File” option in Windows
Unless you adjust the Virtual Memory settings, the System controlled page file option will be selected by default. If you’ve made changes to your page filing, it’s advised that you play Call of Duty: MW2 with the System controlled page file configuration. You have the following options:
- To open Windows Search, press Win + S.
- In the text field of your search tool, enter the words advanced system settings.
- From the search tool, select View advanced system options.
- To open another window, click Settings on the Advanced tab.
- On the Performance Options box, click the Advanced button.
- To access Virtual Memory, use the Change button.
- Uncheck the box that says “Automatically manage page file size for all disks.”
- If it isn’t already chosen, click the System managed size radio option.
- On the Virtual Memory window, click OK.
- On the Performance Options window, click Apply.
- Then, restart your Windows computer.
Update your graphics driver
Call of Duty: MW2 includes several impressive graphics effects and functionality. If your graphics driver is out of date, such graphical upgrades may result in the 0x887A0005 issue. As a result, it’s a good idea to make sure your GPU is running the most recent NVIDIA or AMD driver.
Disable unnecessary third-party background programs and services
If there are too many apps operating in the background, there may not always be enough system RAM available for MW2. Disabling background programs frees up system resources for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. You may stop background apps and services by deleting them from the startup by clean-booting Windows. Here’s how to use the System Configuration tool to complete a clean boot.
- Launch the System Configuration tool.
- Deselect the option by clicking the Load startup items tick.
- On the Services tab of System Configuration, select the Hide all Microsoft services option.
- Disable all to uncheck the checkboxes for all remaining third-party services.
- To save the updated boot settings, click Apply.
- To complete, choose OK and Restart.
After restarting Windows, launch Call of Duty: MW2. Is the error 0x887A0005 still occurring? If not, it’s possible that clean booting makes additional system resources accessible. If you restore your initial boot setup, the 0x887A0005 crashing may occur again. However, by reselecting the Load startup items box in the System Configuration tool, you may restore the previous boot settings. To re-enable the deactivated services, choose to Enable all.
Reinstall the game
If the issue 0x887A0005 continues after attempting the options listed above, you may need to reinstall Call of Duty: MW2 to change its files. That means you’ll have to re-download the game, which might take several hours. You may reinstall MW2 via the Battle.net launcher by doing the following:
- Launch the Battle.net client.
- Select MW2 by clicking All Games.
- Choose Options from the menu to the right of the game’s Play button.
- To uninstall the game, select Uninstall.
- Restart Windows to check that MW2 has been completely removed.
- Then, reopen Battle.net and pick the Call of Duty: MW2 Install option.
- If you have a laptop, plug it in to guarantee that the battery doesn’t die before MW2 has finished downloading and reinstalling.
We hope that you enjoyed this article on how to fix MW2 error code 0x887a0005. If you did, we are sure that you will also enjoy reading some of our other articles, such as MW2 crashing on PC: How to fix it, or AMD FidelityFX CAS MW2: How does it work.