You can update your Windows 10 now with the May Patch Tuesday, since it fixes 55 vulnerabilities, and 4 of them are critical.
If you are a user of the stable version of Windows 10 (Pro, Home, etc), it means that you have available in Windows Update (Settings > Update and security > Windows Update) the KB5003173 update.
What’s new in this update?
KB5003173 is not an update that brings great news under the arm, only performance and security improvements that affect W10 components such as “Windows App Platform & Frameworks, the operating system kernel, Windows Media, the Microsoft Scripting Engine and the Windows Silicon Platform”.
Microsoft also highlights improvements related to the operation of drivers for Bluetooth devices, and the patching of a bug that caused (in 32-bit applications running on 64-bit Windows 10) the scroll bar controls to appear blank on the screen and not work.
However, among the 55 security patches, there are four marked as critical, and 3 others linked to ‘zero day’ vulnerabilities that had not yet been exploited.
Among the critical bugs is a fix to a vulnerability in the HTTP protocol stack, which.
“Allows an unauthenticated attacker to remotely execute code as a kernel [just by] sending a specially crafted packet to an affected server.”
On the other hand, the ‘zero day’ bugs fixed are as follows:
- CVE-2021-31204 – Elevation of privilege vulnerability in .NET and Visual Studio.
- CVE-2021-31207 – Microsoft Exchange Server security feature bypass vulnerability.
- CVE-2021-31200 – Remote code execution vulnerability in Common Utilities.
How to download the new Windows 10 update?
If you still don’t see it in Windows Update, don’t worry, you can also download and install the update manually. Be careful, because for most of us this update takes more than half a GB:
- Download KB5003173 MSU for Windows 10 v2004 and v20H2 32-bit (x86) (270.4MB)
- Download KB5003173 MSU for Windows 10 v2004 and v20H2 64-bit (x64) (572.6MB)
- Download KB5003173 MSU for Windows 10 v2004 and v20H2 ARM64 (619.3MB)
Remember that, in any case, these ‘ patches Tuesday updates are mandatory: if you don’t install them now, you will have to do it before receiving future updates.