Today we’ve learned that, finally, the one-handed mode will come to Android 12 and we are going to show you how to activate it. Smartphones are getting bigger and bigger. With huge screens on our hands, it’s sometimes hard to use some apps. That is why this one-handed mode will help you out when you want to use the smartphone with one hand only.
Some other manufacturers already have this mode activated, but now Google is bringing it natively to Android 12. The feature appeared in developer preview version number 2, known as Android 12 DP2.
How to activate the one-handed mode on Android 12?
We were able to see this feature in Android 12 DP1’s code, but finally, it is Android 12 DP2 that brings one-handed mode. Android 12 will be released around August 2021, so it is better if we learn how to use this mode now.
Thanks to this mode you will be able to use a smaller part of the screen, so you can reach everywhere. Unlike other manufacturers, Google opts to bring the screen down to a 4:3-like format, leaving the top side empty. This way everything will be close enough for you to tap with your thumb.
To be able to activate this mode you should follow these steps:
- We open the ‘Settings.”
- We go to the ‘System’ section.
- Once we are inside, we open ‘Gestures’.
- There we will find the ‘One-handed mode‘ and we can activate it.
- Pressing the ‘Use one-handed mode’ switch will activate the mode, and now we can configure the “Timeout”
- We will have a ‘Timeout’ option you can choose between 4, 8 or 12 seconds. Although we can always check ‘Never’ to leave the one-handed mode always active.
That’s it, as you can see the process is really simple. If you carefully follow these steps, there should be no problems.