If you want to use an older software version in your Xiaomi smartphone, let us explain how to revert to a previous version of MIUI.
MIUI is one of the most loved customization layers by Android users today. Its stability, customizability, aesthetics, and performance make for an incredible user experience on any device.
Like any operating system, it frequently receives updates related to security, bug fixes, and bugs or incorporate new features.
In most cases, everything works great. That is, you receive the update on your phone, download it and enjoy the new features. However, in many cases, this is not the case and you wish you had not updated your device. That’s when you ask yourself, what now?
The simplest solution may be to wait for the manufacturer to fix these problems with a smaller update or patch. If you’re not in a hurry and can get by with it, wait. But what if you can’t use your phone properly, what do you do in that case?
This is where you have to resort to drastic solutions like reverting to a previous version, in this case of MIUI, to get everything back to normal while the problems are fixed.
You may also be interested in | How to change the name of a folder or icon in MIUI
Many people don’t know how to do it (while it’s not impossible, it takes work) and for that, we’ve made you a small step-by-step so you can safely perform a downgrade yourself and enjoy your Xiaomi as usual.
Why go back to a previous version of MIUI?
There are many reasons why it is necessary to downgrade software. In this case, it may be that when upgrading MIUI to the latest version, your device has compatibility issues, which is very common.
In other cases, the update may present a flaw or bug directly from its programming, so only the development team can fix it.
We recommend you | How to see the screen time on your Xiaomi with MIUI with Screen Time
In any case, we want to tell you that there is a solution to these problems and that going back to a previous version of MIUI is possible. Below, we show you step by step how to do it.
Steps to revert to the previous version of MIUI
Follow each of these steps to go back to the previous version of Xiaomi’s customization layer.
- The first and most important step is to back up all your information stored on the device. To do this, you can resort to remote storage such as a PC or hard drive. Also, you can do it in the cloud if you prefer. It is always better to play it safe.
- Now you should know which version of MIUI you have installed on your mobile. This way, you can avoid installing the same version and not solve the problem. To do this, just go to “Settings > Phone Info > MIUI Version”. There you will find the data you need, write it down and follow the steps.
- Once you know the current version of MIUI that is installed on your device, you must download the version before it and that is possible by entering down.
At this point you will need to:
- Once inside the portal, choose your Xiaomi model and ROM type (Global/China).
- Find the version of MIUI that is currently installed on your device. Next, choose the version before this one. It is important that you check very well the build number and that it matches the version you are going to download to avoid any compatibility issues that may arise. If your ROM is Global, you should look for the same one. Likewise, if it is Chinese.
- Once everything is correct, proceed to download the recovery version.
How to install a previous version of MIUI?
After the download is finished and you have the files in your possession, it’s time to install them on your device. To do so, follow these steps:
- On your smartphone or computer (where you downloaded the file) go to the file manager and save the ROM you just downloaded to the root folder.
- Now it’s time to rename the file. To do this, enter the following: “update.zip” (without quotes).
- Once the ROM is saved in the root folder, it’s time to go to “Settings > Phone Info > System Update”.
- Now, go to the top right of your screen and select the three dots to access the option to select update package.
- Once in this section, you will be able to see the ROM you just downloaded. Select it and then restore it to the previous version of MIUI will start.
- Once the process is complete, you will be able to enjoy your Xiaomi perfectly with the previous version of MIUI.
As you will see, this is a very simple, fast process and above all does not require rooting your phone. Just follow the steps carefully, consider the recommendations and that’s it. Do not forget to let us know if you found this tutorial useful.