Today you are going to learn how to delete your PayPal account forever by following some easy steps. PayPal announced that in several countries it will start charging its users after twelve months of inactivity. But what inactivity means? If you don’t log in to the platform for 12 months, you will be charged. Even if you are an active user, perhaps this news has made you realize that you haven’t used PayPal for a long time. If that is the case, maybe you’d prefer to delete the account directly.
- How to clear the browsing data of Microsoft Edge?
- How to clear the browsing data of Safari?
- How to activate two-factor authentication (2FA) in PayPal?
How to delete your PayPal account forever?
Before you proceed, you must take a series of previous steps to avoid messing up. First, remove all your financial information: you can do this from the ‘Wallet’ section of your PayPal account. Select each current account and credit card added to your PayPal account and click on ‘Delete [payment method]’ at the bottom of each section. Then, you can follow these steps:
- Next, check if you have any money in your PayPal account (you’ll find a large amount of information on the PayPal website under ‘PayPal balance’): if so, transfer it to your bank account, and wait for the transfer to be made (it may take a few days) so you can complain if anything goes wrong.
- While you wait for the transfer to be made, you should make a final check: if you have pending payments scheduled, in order to change the payment method for those services once you delete the account, all pending payments will be automatically cancelled.
- You can check this in the ‘Settings’ section of your PayPal account (the icon next to ‘Logout’) > ‘Payments’ > ‘Manage automatic payments’.
- Once you have done that, you are ready to delete your account: just go back to ‘Settings’ and in the left column, at the bottom of ‘Account options’, you will find the link ‘Close account’. Click on it, follow the instructions, and you’re done.
Remember that this last step cannot be carried out from the PayPal mobile app, you need to do it on a PC. Surely, you will be able to open a new account in the future, but all the information that the old account contains, will be unrecoverable. This way you’ve learned how to delete your PayPal account forever.