Apple is releasing watchOS 9.2 for Apple Watch customers today in addition to iOS 16.2 and updates for iPad, Apple TV, and Mac. The update comes with several noteworthy upgrades and new features, such as Race Route and Crash Detection enhancements. For the complete release notes, scroll down.
All users are now receiving watchOS 9.2 updates. On your Apple Watch, you may upgrade by navigating to Settings, selecting General, and then selecting Software Update. Additionally, the Apple Watch companion app on your iPhone can be used to apply the update.
What’s new in watchOS 9.2
The new watchOS 9.2 includes some new features alongside some bug fixes. Changes in the new version of the operating system are as follows:
- Race Route allows you to compare your previous results in outdoor wheelchair workouts, outdoor cycling, and outdoor running
- For more precise stats, the Workout app now uses a new, unique kickboxing algorithm
- When utilizing active noise cancellation, the Noise app for AirPods Pro and AirPods Max now shows when ambient noise levels are reduced
- Family Setup users can be invited to the Home app to manage HomePod speakers and smart home accessories as well as open doors using house keys stored in Wallet. Apple Watch Ultra has accessibility support to show when Siren is active
- Enhanced AssistiveTouch and Quick Actions hand motion controls with faster response times and greater precision
- Improvements to the Apple Watch Ultra, Apple Watch Series 8, and Apple Watch SE’s crash detection system Fix for an issue that results in the display of the erroneous watch time right after dismissing an alarm in Sleep Focus
- Fixed a problem that prevents uninterrupted mindfulness practices
Which watches can run watchOS 9.2?
Sadly, not all Apple Watch devices are compatible with the new update. Here’s a list of all the Apple Watch models that support watchOS 9.2:
- Apple Watch Series 4
- Apple Watch Series 5
- Apple Watch SE
- Apple Watch Series 6
- Apple Watch Series 7
- Apple Watch Series 8
- Apple Watch Ultra
How to update to WatchOS 9.2?
The most recent watchOS version is available straight from your Apple Watch or through an iPhone update. We’ve prepared a step-by-step guide on how to update your Apple Watch to its newest version below.
Check your Apple Watch compatibility
Make sure your Apple Watch is compatible with the most recent software first. These Apple Watch models work with watchOS 9.2:
- Apple Watch Series 4 and later
- Apple Watch SE (1st generation) and later
- Apple Watch Ultra
Additionally, one of these iPhone models is needed to update to watchOS 9.2:
- iPhone 8 or later with iOS 16
- iPhone SE (2nd generation) or later with iOS 16
- Software Update will display the most recent watchOS version that your Apple Watch can utilize if it isn’t compatible with the most recent version
To Identify which Apple Watch or iPhone model you have you may use Apple’s official website’s guide.
Get ready to update to WatchOS 9.2
Next, make sure that:
- Ensure that iOS on your iPhone is updated to the most recent version
- Make sure your Apple Watch has a minimum 50% charge
- Ensure that Wi-Fi is active on your iPhone
Updating your Apple Watch to WatchOS 9.2 using your iPhone
You can wait until an update is released and Apple Watch alerts you. To confirm that you wish to update overnight, go to your iPhone and tap Update Tonight in the notice. After work, keep your iPhone and Apple Watch charging overnight so the update can be finished.
Alternatively, you can manually update your Apple Watch using your iPhone:
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, then select the My Watch tab
- Tap General > Software Update
- Install the update. If prompted, enter the passcode for your Apple Watch or iPhone
- Watch your Apple Watch for the progress wheel to appear. The update can take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour to finish
Direct update on your Apple Watch
You can upgrade your Apple Watch without an iPhone if it runs watchOS 6 or later:
- Ensure that your watch has Wi-Fi enabled
- Open the Settings app on your watch
- Select Software Update under General
- If a software update is available, tap Install, then adhere to the onscreen instructions
While watchOS 9.2 brought many innovations to our wrists, it also fixed some bugs in the previous version. We hope our article was helpful to you. Last week, some information about the operating system of Apple’s long-awaited virtual reality glasses was leaked. To get the details of the news, all you have to do is browse our article titled Apple xrOS will power the Apple AR/VR headsets!