If you don’t know how to connect a Chromebook to a wireless printer, we assure you it is not such a difficult job. You can use a Chrome extension, or a Google service, or allow Chromebook to directly recognize the printer. We’ll explain how.
Even with all the online access across multiple devices and platforms, sometimes having a hard copy of certain documents or information is all you need. Printing from a Chromebook is easy once you connect your printer to the device properly. Chromebook is compatible with most brands of printers, but depending on the method you choose, some printers require additional capabilities.
How to connect a Chromebook to a wireless printer?
- Turn on your printer.
- Connect the printer to an Internet network. The configurations are different, depending on the model.
- Turn on your Chromebook and connect to the same network (if this is not done by default).
- We’ll now look at some different ways you can configure the connection between your Chromebook and your printer.
Use WiFi printer driver extension
You can find a WiFi printer driver extension for Chromebooks from the Chrome Web Store. This is an extension that automatically recognizes your printer once you install it.
You do not need to install any other programs. The only drawback of the extension is that it is not compatible with any printer and you must contact the developer to tell them to add a certain printer model.
Use Google Cloud Print system
- Open a Chrome browser.
- Type chrome://devices in the address bar and press Enter.
- Under New devices, find your printer > click on Manage.
- In the Confirm Registration box that appears, click on Register.
- Follow the steps to finish registering.
Google Cloud Print is a service available that connects your printer to the web. Similar to the previous method, while connected to the same network with the printer, you should be able to view and print any document.
If your printer is wireless, you must first connect it to the Internet. Then, in your Chromebook, use the WiFi or Google Cloud Print printer driver extension to connect your devices. Adding the printer through the Settings menu is also an option.