WhatsApp introduced a new option in the app, which would allow us to share our profile with other people through our own QR code. This allows other users of the messaging app to add us to their list of contacts, without the need to give our phone number.
Now, this function is already available for all WhatsApp users through the latest beta version of the application, available for download from the Google Play Store. It was already available on iOS a while ago, so people who own an iPhone could do this, now everybody will be able to do it, which is nice.
How to share your WhatsApp profile using your QR code?
Several applications and platforms have, at some point, opted for QR codes as a way to add new contacts. At the time Twitter already did it, and other messaging apps like Google Allo –DEP– also introduced similar systems. In the case of Facebook itself, Messenger also includes the possibility of adding new contacts through their QR codes.
Now, it is WhatsApp that adds to this trend. Thanks to QR codes, it will be possible to share our WhatsApp contact with other people we have just met or with those who, for some reason, have not yet added us to their contact list in the messaging app. It will also be possible to scan other people’s codes directly from the application.
To use this new WhatsApp function, you only need to follow these steps:
- Download and install the latest beta version of WhatsApp on your mobile, in case you don’t have it yet.
- Open WhatsApp and tap on the three dots icon in the upper right. Then tap Settings.
- Next to your username, a QR code icon should appear. Tap on it.
- Your QR code will appear on the screen next to your phone number. You just have to show it to the other person so they can scan it using the application.
- If you want to scan another user’s code, tap on the Scan code tab.
- You can also share your code as an image. To do this, touch the Share icon in the upper right, and choose the application through which you want to share the image with your WhatsApp QR code.
How to stop sharing your WhatsApp profile using QR code?
Îf you ever want to reset the QR code, so that the invitations sent and the previous code stop working, just open the options menu in the upper right and tap on Reset QR code. In that case, when someone else tries to scan the old code, a warning will appear stating that the code is no longer available.