Today we are going to recommend the best stargazing mobile apps you can use in 2021. The knowledge of outer space and its mysteries is something that has fascinated human beings for thousands of years. Almost since the beginning of mankind, the stars have had a lot to do with the lives of human beings, either by superstitious beliefs or scientific research.
Nowadays we have many more tools at our fingertips that allow us to see and recognize the stars and learn much more about what we can find in outer space.
If you are one of those people who are fascinated by astronomy and love to photograph the stars or you are just curious, you will love those applications that you can easily download to your smartphone that will help you learn more about our galaxy, celestial bodies, constellations and other interesting aspects of outer space.
Best stargazing apps (2021)
These are the best apps we recommend for stargazing:
- Star Walk 2
- Sky Safari
- ISS Detector Satellite Tracker
- SkyView Free
- Sky Portal
- Star Rover
Simply download any of these stargazing apps then simply point the camera of your mobile towards the sky so you can observe the planets, stars, and satellites, as if you were in a planetary observatory.
Star Walk 2
This is one o the best stargazing apps for Android that we can find for free. Besides knowing the different planets, comets, stars, constellations, the moon, etc., you can find 3D models of planetary nebulae, constellations (including Ursa Major, Cancer, and other familiar constellations), dwarf planets, comets, and asteroids as well as artificial satellites within this app.
The app also includes sound effects and atmospheric visuals complemented by a soundtrack for a fully immersive experience.
Once you download this app on your smartphone, just point the camera at the sky and it will quickly show you planets, constellations, satellites, stars, and deep-sky objects, with interactive information and powerful graphics.
Would you like to know what the sky looked like in 500 B.C. or what it will look like in the year 2,500? With Sky Safari you can simulate the night sky anywhere on the planet thousands of years in the past or in the future.
You can also animate meteor showers and see galaxies and constellations in this amazing stargazing app.
If you want to know which celestial objects can be seen from your location, use the Tonight’s Best feature.
Some of the main features of Sky Safari are:
- Show the night sky from anywhere on Earth many years in the past or in the future.
- Animate meteor showers, comet approaches, transits, conjunctions, and other celestial events.
- Realistic graphics. View galaxies, constellations, and more in stunning, vivid detail. Plus, optional constellation illustrations.
- Tonight’s Best feature.
- Point your device at the sky and SkySafari will find stars, constellations, planets, and more. The star map automatically updates with your movements in real-time for a better stargazing experience.
- Night vision.
- Find the Sun, Moon, or Mars in the database and follow the arrow to direct you to their exact locations in the sky in front of you.
- Learn about the history, mythology, and science of the heavens! Browse through hundreds of object descriptions, astronomical photographs, and NASA spacecraft images.
- With SkyWeek you’ll get information about major sky events every day.
- See 120,000 stars; more than 200-star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies; all the major planets and moons; and dozens of asteroids, comets, and satellites, including the International Space Station (ISS).
This is the official NASA app for Android, an extremely reliable source of information for sure. If you love astronomy, this is the perfect app for you, plus it’s totally free.
The information is updated daily and you can also find many images taken by the satellites that the aerospace station sends on its missions. This is one of the best stargazing apps for sure.
Here is a summary of what you can find in this app:
- More than 16,000 images.
- Watch NASA TV live.
- Read the latest news and story articles.
- Watch more than 14,000 NASA videos.
- Discover the latest NASA mission information.
- View upcoming International Space Station sighting opportunities and receive notifications.
- Watch live streaming in high definition from Earth during experiments on the International Space Station.
- View 2D satellite location maps and 3D models of the Earth with orbiting satellites from the International Space Station and others.
- Get the latest tweets from the Agency.
- Image ranking.
- Select your own favorite images or missions and get quick access to them.
- Map, information, and links to all NASA visitor centers.
- Explore the featured content section with 3D models and information about the planet.
- View Earth as a collection of artistic images and an interactive map.
- Listen to Third Rock Radio.
- Easily share everything with your friends on social networks.
ISS Detector Satellite Tracker
With ISS Detector you’ll know where and when to watch for International Space Station or Iridium flares. You will receive an alert minutes before an observation.
This free astronomy app for Android also takes care of checking if the weather conditions are right. A clear sky is perfect for observations.
Find stars or constellations in the sky without being an astronomer, just open SkyView Free and let it guide you directly to their location to identify them. This is one of the best stargazing apps for sure.
This app is very intuitive and allows you to stargaze using your camera to accurately detect and identify celestial objects in the sky, day or night.
Find popular constellations as they appear and disappear as you scan the sky, locate planets in our solar system, discover distant galaxies, and witness satellite flights.
Some of the main features of this app are:
- Easy to use: Point your device to the sky to identify galaxies, stars, constellations, planets, and satellites (including ISS and Hubble) passing over your location.
- Night mode: Preserve your night vision with red or green night mode filters.
- Augmented Reality: Use your camera to detect objects in the sky, day or night.
- Sky Path: Follow the footsteps in the sky in search of any object to see its exact location at any date and time.
- Time Travel: Jump into the future or past and see the sky at different dates and times.
- Social: Capture and share beautiful images with friends and family on social networks.
- Mobile: No Wi-Fi needed (does not require a data signal or GPS to work).
- Compatible with Space Navigator binoculars, spotting scopes, and telescopes.
With the help of this app, you will explore the Solar System, 120,000 stars, more than 200 star clusters, nebulae, galaxies, and dozens of asteroids, comets, and satellites, including the ISS (International Space Station).
When connected to a compatible Wi-Fi telescope, you can automatically point the telescope at any object in the database and view it in great detail. This is one of the best stargazing apps for sure.
- Create your personalized list of objects that will be seen at the night based on your current location and time.
- View hundreds of photos or listen to over four hours of audio narration to enhance your stargazing experience.
- Simulate the night sky from anywhere on the planet up to 100 years in the past or future.
- Compass mode (with compatible devices): Point your device toward the sky for a real-time, synchronized display of celestial objects.
- Explore the sky with night vision enabled and keep your eyesight after dark.
Learn history, mythology and the science of the heavens with hundreds of object descriptions.
Star Rover is a free astronomy app that works like a portable planetarium. Just point the camera at any point in the sky and the app will show you everything.
Since the app determines your location automatically, you can observe the stars, moon, planets, and constellations in their proper place from your current location. As you move your phone, the star map will be updated in real time.
By setting your location manually, you can view the sky as if you were anywhere in the world. It also allows you to travel to the future or the past and see the sky at different dates and times.
Here are some of the things you can do using this app:
- More than 120,000 stars.
- The 88 constellations with beautiful artwork.
- The planets and their moons with stunning graphics.
- Phases of the moon.
- Real images of Messier objects.
- Information of sky objects.
- Realistic Milky Way.
- Equatorial and azimuthal grids.
- View of the sky below the horizon.
- Visual magnitude adjustment.
- Manual time and date setting.
- Manual location setting.
- Quick search.