If you’ve just bought yourself an Apple Vision Pro, you’ll realize after reading this article that you shouldn’t forget your Vision Pro passcode.
Have trouble remembering your Vision Pro passcode? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. Unfortunately, resetting a forgotten Vision Pro passcode is not simple, unlike other Apple devices.
If you forgot Vision Pro passcode, what can you do?
Currently, you have two options, neither of which is very convenient:
- Visit an Apple Store: This may be your best option, but it requires you to take your Vision Pro to the nearest Apple reseller. They can then wipe and reset your device for you.
- Mail it to AppleCare: This is less ideal, especially given the delicate nature of the headphones. However, this is your only other option if you don’t have an Apple Store near you.
Important note: Both options require you to erase your Vision Pro, meaning you’ll lose all your saved data or settings. To avoid this, make sure you back up your device regularly!
Why is this happening?
This limitation is due to Vision Pro not having a USB-C port. Unlike iPhones or Apple Watches, you cannot connect it to your Mac for troubleshooting. While a special developer strap allows connection, it is not intended for consumers and costs as much as $300.
Apple is aware of the problem and hopes to release a software update in the future that will make password resets easier. But for now, forgetting your passcode means a trip to the Apple Store or sending your headphones in the mail.
What can you do to avoid getting locked out?
Here are some tips to keep your Vision Pro accessible:
- Choose a strong but memorable passcode: Avoid obvious choices like birthdays or anniversaries. Choose something you’ll remember but still secure.
- Write it down: Keep a physical note of your password in a safe place, but not next to your Vision Pro!
- Store it electronically: Use a secure password manager app to store your password. Remember only the master password!
- Activate Optic ID: This facial recognition system is the main way to unlock your Vision Pro. Set it up and use it whenever possible.
Beyond the password problem
The password issue is not the only obstacle some Vision Pro users face. Some have reported discomfort after wearing the headset for long periods of time. While solutions are being developed, it’s worth keeping comfort in mind when making your purchase decision.
Keep in mind that Vision Pro is a state-of-the-art device, and initial challenges may arise with such innovation. We hope Apple will address these issues with software updates soon. But for now, keep your password safe and be ready to go to the Apple Store if you forget it.