If you have ever had the need to use an .img file in VirtualBox but you have not succeeded, you will surely be interested in today’s tutorial, where we are going to teach you how to convert from img to vdi format in order to use it in VirtualBox.
- Convert VMware virtual machine to VirtualBox [How to]
- Microsoft Teams has a feature called Together for virtual auditorums
- Unexpectedly good cloud business helped IBM grow again
How to convert IMG to VDI for use in VirtualBox?
- We open the command prompt or cmd, for this you can search for cmd in the Windows search engine, or press the combination + R , type cmd and click OK. (In Linux open the terminal)
- We go to the folder where we have saved the image we want to convert, for this we use the cd command , you can also use the dir command ( ls in Linux) to know the folders and files that are in the current directory and be able to move. In the following 2 images you can see the use of both commands.
- Now execute the following instruction:
“C : \ Program Files \ oracle \ VirtualBox \ VBoxManage ” convertdd filename .img filename .vdi
Attention to these data:”C: \ Program Files \ oracle \ VirtualBox \ VBoxManage” helps us to make use of the VBoxManage tool, if we did not put the full path it would not work, since Windows does not have it in its path and it would not find VBoxManage (see the next one for Linux).
convertdd is the parameter that VBoxManage receives, which indicates the action to take, in this case conversion.
filename.img is the file you want to convert.
filename.vdi is the file name that you give to the file to be created.
In Linux you do not need the path to put the name of the VBoxManage tool, since Linux will find it.
Let’s procoeder with an example in image form, I have a file called convertir.img , I will convert it to the file converted.vdi .
Note: If you installed VirtualBox in another path, you will have to find where it is installed and replace it where you see C: \ Program Files \ oracle \ VirtualBox.
- We can now use the .vdi file we just created to use in VirtualBox. For this we give the name New.
- We give a name to the machine and choose the operating system that we are going to use, in this case we have others, and click Next.
- Now we are going to configure the RAM that we want to give to the machine, let’s give it 1GB, each one that gives it what it needs and allows its PC (However, you can change it once the machine is created in Configuration) and we click Next.
- In this step we mark Use an existing virtual hard disk file and look for the .vdi file that we created earlier. Finally we click on Create and we are ready.
- Select the newly created virtual machine and click Start.
We hope this way of converting from IMG format to VirtualBox VDI format will help you.