Recently, rumors of Disney buys the Bible started to spread on the internet. The rumor has been embellished with claims of a $7.2 billion purchase and the removal of certain verses from the Bible.
If you’re wondering if this rumor is real, the answer is quite simple: it’s completely fake.
Disney buys the Bible: The source of the rumor
This rumor started with a video shared by a TikTok user named @claretas.voice. In the video, the user is seen reading an article in which he claims that Disney bought the Bible and removed some verses. However, researchers discovered that the article was not real news but satire.
Why did it spread so fast?
So, how did such a clearly false rumor spread so fast? There are several reasons:
- Surprising and intriguing: The idea of Disney buying the Bible is quite surprising and intrigues many people.
- Easy to share: The rumor is easy to share on social media because it can be expressed in a short and simple way.
- It fits with some people’s beliefs: Some people already distrust Disney or big companies. Therefore, they are more likely to believe this rumor.
- Not checking the facts: Many people don’t check whether a news story is true before sharing it.
What are the facts?
- The Bible is not subject to copyright: The Bible is considered to be in the public domain and is not protected by copyright. Therefore, it is not possible for Disney or anyone else to buy the rights to the Bible.
- Disney did not extract verses from the Bible: There is no evidence that Disney extracted verses from the Bible. This claim is a fabrication in a satirical article.
The “Disney is buying the Bible” rumor is a hoax that is spreading rapidly on the internet. Before you believe this rumor, please do your research and check your sources. Remember, you should not believe everything you see on the internet.
Featured image credit: Barış Selman/DALL-E 3