In this article, we will explain in detail the TikTok leggings legs trend, why it was criticized, and why it was removed from the platform. Let’s start by going back to the old times.
Do you remember the “thigh gaps” craze of the early 2010s? Unfortunately, a similar trend called the TikTok leggings legs trend recently emerged, promoting a certain leg shape as ideal for wearing leggings. The trend was widely criticized and eventually removed from the platform due to its potential harm to body image and mental health. Here’s why:
What is the TikTok leggings legs trend?
The trend involved users, primarily young women, sharing videos or images of themselves wearing leggings. However, the focus was not just on leggings but on a particular leg shape that was considered “ideal” for them. This “ideal” typically involved slender legs with a visible thigh gap, similar to the past’s harmful “thigh gap” trend.
Why was the TikTok leggings legs trend subject to criticism?
This trend was criticized for various reasons:
- Promoting an unrealistic and unhealthy body image: By focusing on a specific leg shape, the trend implied that only people with that shape could look good in leggings. This reinforces unrealistic beauty standards and can contribute to body dissatisfaction and low self-esteem, especially among young people.
- Increases eating disorders: Pressure to achieve the “ideal” leg shape can increase the risk of developing or worsening eating disorders. Research shows a link between social media trends that focus on appearance and an increased risk of eating disorders.
- Exclusion and body shaming: The trend has implicitly excluded people who do not have a certain leg shape, potentially leading to feelings of shame and inadequacy.
Why was the TikTok leggings legs trend removed?
Fortunately, the “legging legs” trend faced a significant backlash from individuals, creators, and mental health experts. This backlash and its potential harm led TikTok to remove the trend and related hashtags. Instead, the search for “legging legs” now directs users to resources on eating disorders.
Why is this important?
The removal of the “legging legs” trend is a positive step towards promoting a more body-positive and inclusive online environment. It highlights the importance of being mindful of the impact that social media trends can have on mental health and body image, especially for young people. While this particular trend may have disappeared, it is a reminder of the need to be constantly vigilant and take proactive measures to combat potentially harmful trends.
- Encourage body positivity: Celebrate bodies of all shapes and sizes. Promote self-acceptance and challenge unrealistic beauty standards.
- Be mindful of your online content: Consider the potential impact of your posts and videos on others’ body image. Avoid perpetuating harmful trends.
- Support mental health: If you or someone you know is struggling with body image or eating disorders, seek professional help and utilize available resources.
Remember, your worth is not defined by your body shape or size. Embrace your individuality and wear what makes you feel safe and comfortable. We can create a more inclusive and body-positive online space for everyone.
Featured image credit: Solen Feyissa / Unsplash