If you don’t know how to add friends on Nintendo Switch, we are going to help you out. Even though the Switch isn’t a new console, you might not know how to add friends to play together. In this guide, you will find all your answers below.
How to add friends on Nintendo Switch?
Nintendo Switch still uses a modified version of the “Friend Code” system seen on previous Nintendo consoles. A Friend Code is a twelve-digit password that you can send to friends outside of the console, who can then log in to send a friend request.
Find your friend code:
- On the home page, click on your account icon in the upper left corner.
- Your friend code is available in two places: in the landing menu (Profile), and under the Add Friend menu.
- This is the code you should send to your friends so they can find you.
Add a friend:
- On the user’s page, click Search with friend code and enter a user’s 12-digit code to send a request.
- Then, your friend’s nickname and user icon will appear, and you can confirm that you want to submit the request.
- Back in the Add friend menu, you can check your pending requests under sent friend requests.
- Unlike previous friend code systems, the user receiving the request does not need to know the sender’s friend code to become friends
How to accept a friend request on Nintendo Switch?
When someone sends you a friend request, a notification dot will appear next to the Add Friend section of the user’s page. The Friend Requests inbox at the top of the menu lets you know that someone has added you.
Click Friend Requests to see the icon and nickname of the requesting user. From here, you can accept, reject or block the user.
If you have a few friends, you won’t have to bother with friend codes to add new friends. You can search for nearby Switch players by clicking on Search local users on the Add Friends menu of the user’s page. To find each other, everyone has to click on the same symbol. After agreeing on a symbol, search for the user’s nickname and icon and send a request. Note that adding friends locally will not take effect until both users are logged into the online service.
How to add friends you have played with on Nintendo Switch?
Out of the gate, the Switch apparently allows you to add users you have played with before. After playing a multiplayer game, head to the Add Friends section on the user’s page. Here, click Search for users you played with. However, this option seems to work only for friends you played with via a local wireless connection.
How to add friends via Nintendo apps?
Friends from official Nintendo apps – Super Mario Run, Miitomo, Fire Emblem Heroes – linked to your Nintendo account will appear under Suggested Friends in the Add Friends menu on the user page. From here, you can skip the friend code process by clicking on a user and submitting a request.
How to add a friend as your best friend on Nintendo Switch?
You can change a friend’s status as the best friend. Navigate to your friend list and choose one of your favorite friends. Click on the Best Friends option.
That user will now have a star in the upper left corner of their icon. Unfortunately, your best friend will not be notified.
How to remove or block friends on Nintendo Switch?
If you no longer want to be friends with a particular user, you can remove them. You can go a step further by blocking the user, which prevents them from adding you again.
- Go to your Friends list and select the friend you want to remove.
- Click Options.
- Either choose Remove Friend or Block.