Microsoft updates Windows 10 File Recovery tool, from now on it will be easier to use. We all lost some files because of an operating system problem or by accident. This tool helps you to save your files.
And then there are the problems associated with HDDs and SSDs that have a limited lifespan because successive accesses, reads and writes, or mishandling of external drives can lead to file loss.
- These videos show how close Microsoft Flight Simulator is to real life
- According to Microsoft, Edge has already 600 million users
- History and open tabs sync is coming to Microsoft Edge
If the problem is physical, forget it. They can only be recovered by specialized technicians. If the errors are not fatal there is a chance to recover them.
Windows File Recovery is now easier to use
Microsoft published an internal tool for Windows 10 dedicated to these tasks. Windows File Recovery is a command-line tool and works like other third-party utilities, trying to recover photos, documents, videos, and other types of deleted or inaccessible files.
The final version of the application will be included in the next version of Windows 10, 21H1, but before that Microsoft is improving it for the users of the Insiders test channel. The new version includes performance improvements, bug fixes, and the introduction of 2 simplified file recovery modes that are added to the ‘normal’ mode we have known until now.
- The ‘regular mode’ is a fast file recovery option for NTFS file systems and is designed for the most recently deleted files that may not have been overwritten yet.
- The “extended mode” is a comprehensive search that applies to most file systems and can recover files even from damaged drives.
With the extended mode, you can perform searches by file names, keywords, file paths or extensions.
- It can recover JPEG, PDF, PNG, MPEG, Office, MP3 and MP4 files, ZIP, and more.
- It can recover files from HDD, SSD, external USB drives, and memory cards.
- It supports NTFS, FAT, exFAT and ReFS.
Microsoft Windows File Recovery tool is available on Insiders program
The application is not necessarily intuitive because it only works from the command line, but it is available in the Microsoft Store and works in Windows 10 2004 and following systems. The updated and improved version is available for Insiders versions and the definitive stable one will arrive in the new spring version.