Team Executor released SX OS custom firmware for the Nintendo Switch. And since it is a hardware vulnerability, it is a future-proof solution that works on any version of the Switch, even users with the latest official firmware.
SX OS features
It allows you to:
- Play Nintendo Switch Homebrew
- Run downloaded / backup copies on your Switch games
- Card2 game support
- EShop game compatibility
- SX Pro dongle is highly portable and eliminates the need to inject the payload using a PC cable. The firmware of the dongle can also be updated.
- Stealth incognito mode to protect you against ban when using SX OS.
SX OS installation requirements
- Any Nintendo Switch console
- MicroSD card (≥ 128GB recommended)
- MicroSD card reader
- SX Pro dongle
- Jig tool (included with SX Pro)
- SX OS firmware files – Download
- NX Homebrew Executor – Download
- PC, Mac, or Linux
- An internet connection is optional. SX OS can be installed without having to connect your Nintendo Switch online.
How to install SX OS using SX Pro?
- Prepare your microSD card
Your micro SD card can be formatted as FAT32 or exFAT, it doesn’t matter. However, exFAT is more convenient because it can be read by Mac and Windows platforms.
- Visit the Team Executer official website and download the latest version of SX OS on your computer.
- Visit the official NX Homebrew Launcher launch page and download the .zip file.
- Extract the .zip file from SX OS and put the contents of the file in the root of your microSD card.
- Extract the .zip file from the NX Homebrew Launcher and put the “hbmenu.nro” file at the root of your microSD card. Make a folder called “switch” at the root of your microSD card. This is where you will place the homebrew .nro files.
- Remove the microSD card from your computer and insert it into your Nintendo Switch.
How to fix when the Switch doesn’t read your homebrew apps or game files?
If your microSD card is exFAT, you may experience an issue where SX OS is not reading your game or your home files. To solve this problem, you must delete the file from the content of your microSD card using a Windows PC.
- Select all the files and folders on your micro SD
- Right click and select “Properties”
- In the “General” tab click “Advanced”
- Uncheck the box that says “The folder is ready to be archived”
- Prepare your Nintendo Switch
- Insert the SX Pro dongle and jig tool into your Nintendo Switch. The dongle is inserted into the USB-C charger port and the jig tool is inserted into the right rail of the joycon.
- Start in RCM mode: To start RCM mode, press and hold the volume up button while pressing the power button. SX OS should start. You can remove the jig and dongle tool once SX OS starts. In a few seconds you will see the SX OS logo.
- Select the “Start a custom FW” option.
- Activate your SX OS license to enjoy all the functions.
How to activate it offline?
A license-request.dat file will be generated and placed on your microSD card.
- Simply insert your microSD card into your computer and upload your license-request.dat file to the official SX OS activation website.
- A license.dat file will be generated. Download this file and place it on your microSD card.
How to activate online?
- Make sure your Switch is connected to the internet.
- Enter the “album viewer” from the Nintendo Switch main menu and click “license.”
- Your license must be activated online and a license.dat file will be placed on the microSD card.
You can leave the Nintendo Switch console in CFW mode to be able to play backup / homebrew. If the console enters sleep mode, SX OS CFW will continue to function after the console is activated.
If you turn off or restart your Switch, you will need the SX Pro dongle and jig tool to start in RCM mode and start SX OS again. You’ll need to hold down the Volume Up and Power button with the jig tool and SX Pro dongle inserted.
To play Switch homebrew: Hold down the R button and then enter the Album app
To view screenshots and videos: Press and hold the L button, and then enter the Album app
To play game backups: Simply enter the Album app
Where to find Switch Homebrew?
Check out the SwitchBrew wiki for a huge database of released homebrew, including games, emulators, and utilities.
Download the Switch Homebrew app store so you can download and install Switch Homebrew apps and games without having to remove your microSD card. An internet connection is required.
How to play backups of Switch games?
Playing the Switch game backups is easy. However, before doing this, check your country’s specific laws regarding the use of backup kits.
Change backups / ROMs in the form of .XCI files. The trimmed .XCI files are compatible with SX OS. To play them follow these simple instructions:
- Download the Switch .XCI file and place it in the root of your microSD card or in one of these directories
/ sxos / games
/ sxos / xci
/ sxos / nsp
/ switch / games
/ switch / xci
/ switch / nsp
- Arrange the Switch in RCM mode and start SX OS CFW.
- Launch the Switch Album app and your game should appear. Start the game by pressing A.
- The game will appear in the Swich’s main menu.
- Just press start the game and enjoy!